Spring Maintenance Will Make Sure Your Pickup Truck is Ready for Work or Play
With spring work and recreation activities starting again, it’s time to make sure your pickup truck is ready to go. Whether working on a job site, taking a leisurely drive to your favorite fishing hole or even an overlanding adventure, we have some maintenance items to be checked on your pickup in order to have it looking good and running well. Many of these you can do yourself or have a service center take care of for you.
- Cleaning - Clean the outside of your pickup truck from top to bottom to remove dirt and salt that can cause corrosion. This includes underneath the truck as well.
- Lights - Be certain to check your headlights, running lamps and taillights to be sure they are working. Also check turn signals and brake lights.
- Windshield Wipers - It’s a good idea to change your windshield wiper blades after a long winter and make sure the windshield washer fluid is full as well. Visibility will be reduced by wiper blades that smear or no longer clear water efficiently. Clear visibility is one of the most critical safety factors when driving, helping prevent unnecessary accidents due to obstructed views.
- Tires - Check the air pressure on all of the tires on your truck. Properly inflated tires on any vehicle are an important safety item and should help maintain fuel mileage and maximize tire life. Check the tread on all of the tires to be sure the tires are wearing evenly. Uneven tire wear, cupping or other issues may indicate the vehicle needs alignment or has worn suspension parts or shocks and should be serviced.
- Battery – Check your battery to be sure it is fully charged and in good condition. If the battery is not able to hold a charge, it should be replaced. A weak battery can cause unneeded strain on the electrical system during startup and should be replaced.
- Engine Oil – High quality engine oil is the lifeblood of your engine and provides the protection it needs to run smoothly and efficiently. Shell Rotella® T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil is designed and formulated to provide improved1. hard working protection resulting in enhanced: wear protection, protection against oxidation, deposit control/cleanliness, low temperature flow and corrosion control. Check the oil level and top it off if necessary and be sure to change your oil at the proper interval using the correct viscosity grade for your engine. The portfolio of full-synthetic, synthetic blend and conventional Shell Rotella Heavy Duty Engine Oils will provide the engine protection you need for your hard-working diesel engine.
1 Compared to conventional and semi-synthetic Shell Rotella 15W-40 products.
- Fluids – Check the power steering, brake and transmission fluid to be sure they are at the proper level. This is important to keep each operating properly and trouble free. You may want to have brake fluid and transmission fluid changed according to your vehicle manufacturer’s maintenance schedule.
- Coolant – Be sure the coolant level is correct and that you add the coolant that meets the specification for the pickup truck to ensure that your cooling system operates properly and provides the necessary protection. Using a Shell Rotella extended life coolant (ELC) can provide long service life and deliver an overall reduction in cooling system maintenance.
- Grease – Dirt, salt and water from the road can all take their toll on the chassis and wheel bearings of your pickup truck. It’s important to apply new grease to keep water and dirt out. Shell Rotella greases are applicable for most pickup trucks.
- Belts, Hoses and Filters – Check all belts and hoses to be sure they are not cracked or worn and replace them if necessary. Be sure your air filter is clean, as it will improve the way your engine performs and may help increase fuel economy. Change your fuel filter if necessary as it will also help increase fuel economy.
Regular maintenance is important to keep your pickup truck and other vehicles running smoothly and ready for the jobsite or recreational activities this spring. Nothing can put a damper on the workday or weekend adventuring like preventable vehicle repairs. Keeping up with these service items can be done easily and will help you prevent more serious and costly troubles down the road.